Google has announced that YouTube watchers in Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will start seeing a new homepage from this week. While YouTube has been available in Nepali, Sinhalese and Urdu for a while, the new pages have tailored content specific to those three countries. They also have country-specific domains.
Most-watched videos like Nai Nabhannu La 3 in Nepal, the Coke Studio channel in Pakistan and the Amazing Sri Lankan Spiderman will now show up in the top content for their respective countries, making them even easier to find.
With more local content finding their way to their viewers’ home-pages, YouTube hopes it will help inspire more local creators to get involved, and help them get discovered more easily.
While Google is keen to advertise its ‘tailored’ new home pages, there is a more interesting sub-plot here. YouTube has been banned in Pakistan since 2012, a ban which was re-inforced last February when the government said it would remain banned indefinitely. At the time, a Pakistan official said that “no tool or solution has been found which can totally block offensive content, that is why YouTube remains blocked and it will remain so indefinitely.”
With a dedicated Pakistan home page, perhaps Google is hoping it can persuade the government to lift the ban.
Google Home is gaining two major smart home integrations today in the form of Belkin Wemo and Honeywell products. Finally addressing a major feature difference, Google Assistant on the Pixel is also soon adding the ability to control smart appliances…
Since its launch last year, Google Home has received a steady stream of third-party smart home integrations and other new features. The latest is the ability to play ambient sounds that can help users relax.
Android is flexible and customizable, but sometimes the sheer number of options you have can be a bit overwhelming — even with a device that’s relatively simple and user-friendly like the Google Pixel. One of the many Google Pixel features you might not know how to enable is the landscape home screen, so read on for a quick walkthrough…
Keep up with the best gear and deals on the web by signing up for the 9to5Toys Newsletter. Also, be sure to check us out on: Twitter, RSS Feed, Facebook, Google+ and Safari push notifications.
TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS:
Last Call Updates:
Jawbone MINI JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker for (Refurb)
iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Android/iPhone Car Mount: (Reg. )
Ring Home 3-Camera Security Kit w/ Android + iOS connectivity: 0 (Reg. 0)
Smartphone Accessories: Anker 60W 10-Port USB Wall Charger , more
Roku’s go-anywhere Streaming Stick is on sale for shipped
Review: Colorware’s painted JoyCons add a unique and personal touch to Nintendo Switch [Video]
Review: LEGO UCS Snowspeeder lives up to the iconic Star Wars vehicle
MORE NEW GEAR FROM TODAY:
Toys R Us, Domino’s, CVS, Jiffy Lube and more gift cards up to 20% off
- Ivy Smart LED Lighting Bundle w/ HomeKit support .50 (Reg. 0)
- AmazonBasics Lightning Dock and Radio for shipped (Reg. )
- Transistor action-RPG for iOS drops to (Reg. )
- Wrestle Jump’s hilarious iOS local 2-player action free for first time in years
- App Store Free App of the Week: Little Kitten virtual pet app free (Reg. )
- Agent A spy/puzzle iOS game drops to just (Reg. )
- Krashlander for iOS hits lowest price in over a year:
- Cut the Buttons HD for iPad now just on the App Store
- iPhone 7 BOGO Free Sale at Sprint
- Apple’s non-Touch Bar 13-inch MacBook Pro on sale from ,280
- AmazonBasics Felt MacBook Sleeves from under : 13-inch , more
- Today’s Best iOS & Mac Game/App Deals: Transistor, Wrestle Jump, more
- Today’s Best Game Deals: Titanfall 2 Deluxe , RE 7 from , more
- Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Charging Dock from POWER A down to
- Daily Deals: Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat 9, Roku Express & Mohu Leaf 50 Antenna , more
- Stay heart healthy with Amazon’s Gold Box Omron blood pressure monitors: –
- Mattresses & Memory Foam Pillows 25% off on Amazon, from
- KitchenAid Aluminum Nonstick 12-Piece Cookware Set 0 at Amazon
- QNAP 2-Bay Personal Cloud NAS w/ AirPlay 5 (Reg. 0+)
- SolarGaps window blinds hide built-in solar panels, helps renters save on utilities
- D-Link Wi-Fi AC750 802.11ac Dual Band Range Extender for (Reg. )
- Animal Crossing amiibo Buy 1 Get 2 Free: 3 for , more
- Logitech MK530 Advanced Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (Reg. )
NEW PRODUCTS & MORE:
The ClayXYZ 3D Printer lets anyone create ceramic artwork easily and affordably
Samson Q2U Podcasting Mic Bundle hits today for under
MORE DEALS STILL LIVE:
In this week’s top stories: What to except at Google’s October 4 event next week, the latest official-looking Pixel and Pixel XL renders, Google Home news, and much more.
Samsung may be struggling to get its Bixby voice assistant to understand English on its flagship smartphone, but it seems that isn’t preventing it from planning a standalone speaker based on the same technology.
The company is today reported to be working on a Bixby speaker …
Update: Google has made these updates official on its blog.
Google is currently trying to sell people on the idea of a world in which everything can be controlled by their voice. To do this, though, they have to convince customers to purchase their 0 Google Home with built-in Assistant. Just three days ago, Google launched Actions which will allow third-party developers to start integrating their services into Google Assistant.
Based on what we’re seeing now, it would appear that Netflix and Google Photos are the first to take full advantage of this opportunity…
In this week’s top stories: Google announces its new Pixel smartphones, and we go hands-on with Google Home, Daydream VR, Google WiFi and more from the company’s press event.
The latest beta of the Google app rolled out last night and brings along with it a number of new strings. Announced at I/O, there are more references to making calls through Google Home. There are also mentions to the proactive notifications that are coming to the device later this year.