With four of this year’s big-name smartphone makers having already announced — and some launched — their most important smartphones for 2016, our attention can turn to the rest. For the past few years, the Moto G has undoubtedly been Motorola’s (now Lenovo’s) most important device range. With competitive specs, a low price and — most importantly — stock Android software, the G has long been a recipe for success. And this year, the range could be getting a serious feature upgrade: A fingerprint sensor.
Recent rumors surrounding the upcoming Galaxy S7 have indicated that we’re expecting to see two different sized smartphones. Whether it’s going to be a 5.1-inch and 5.7-inch, or 5.2-inch and 5.5-inch screen (or combination of) depends on which rumors you’ve been reading. One seemingly constant rumor has been that the Galaxy S7’s dual-curve variant, the S7 Edge, will have a larger screen than the regular S7. Today’s leak suggests those rumors might be inaccurate.
A Weibo user published an AnTuTu Benchmark information screenshot for a device with model number SM-G935A. For those unaware, the upcoming Galaxy S7 allegedly has two model numbers: SM-G930 and SM-G935. The latter of those is the Edge variant. The ‘A’ at the end of this model could indicate that it’s an AT&T variant, or at least, a particular variation built for specific carriers/markets.
Looking at the specs above, the benchmark suggests the S7 Edge will indeed have a 5.1-inch screen, not 5.5″ or 5.7″. If true, this could mean Samsung is releasing two phones with the same sized-screens which makes a lot more sense than releasing a competitor to the S6 Edge Plus so soon after it landed. It could also mean that Samsung is releasing more than two variants of the S7. There has been vague speculation that the Korean tech giant will release 3-4 different models this year, but none of it has been even close to concrete.
Other claimed specs include the Snapdragon 820 processor, Quad HD resolution screen, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. Perhaps most interesting, however, is the 12MP camera. It’s a significantly lower resolution camera sensor than the one found in the S6 and Note 5, which boasts 16 million pixels. That said, it’s widely expected that this 12MP sensor will use Samsung’s new BRITECELL technology which produces much better quality photos, in a sensor that’s much smaller. This would make more room for other components, like the larger battery. It would also mean the protruding camera housing on the back would be visibly smaller.
As with any leak, it’s worth noting that even those which look legitimate come with the caution that they might not be genuine. File this under ‘sketchy, but interesting’ for now.
While taking pictures with third-party camera apps on the Nexus 5X, some users may notice that both the preview displayed by the phone and the image captured are upside down. While this error could easily be attributed with initial Marshmallow incompatibility on the part of the app developer, both software and hardware are to blame…
The LG G5 and its accompanying accessories have already been thoroughly leaked, but LG might also be planning other phones in the G5 family. Last week, a device was spotted in GFXBench with a lesser processor, RAM, and camera.
Among the common trends that seem to be picking up in mobile photography, we can certainly include the adoption of dual cameras: brands like LG and Huawei — with the G5 and P9 respectively — have in fact already brought dual-camera equipped, high-end terminals to the mainstream market.
Now, following numerous reports of Apple allegedly looking forward to entering the game, Samsung seems willing to join the part as well (via Pocket-Lint)…
Keep up with the best gear and deals on the web by signing up for the 9to5Toys Newsletter. Also, be sure to check us out on: Twitter, RSS Feed, Facebook, Google+ and Safari push notifications. more…
Keep up with the best gear and deals on the web by signing up for the 9to5Toys Newsletter. Also, be sure to check us out on: Twitter, RSS Feed, Facebook, Google+ and Safari push notifications.
TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS:
Last Call Updates:
Yi 1080p Wide-Angle Dash Camera: (Reg. )
HTC 10 32GB: 0 (Reg. 0) | Sprint
BeatsX W1-enabled Bluetooth Earphones (refurb): (Reg. 0)
Sony E3 2017: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Days Gone, Spider-Man, more [Video]
- Microsoft E3 2017: Xbox One X details, Forza 7 in full 4K, Assassin’s Creed Origins, more [Video]
- Ubisoft E3 2017: Beyond Good and Evil 2, Mario + Rabbids, Skull & Bones, more [Video]
- EA E3 2017: Star Wars Battlefront II, Madden 18 story mode, Battlefield I DLC, more [Video]
- Bethesda E3 2017: Wolfenstein 2, Dishonored, Evil Within 2, Skyrim Switch, more [Video]
MORE NEW GEAR FROM TODAY:
Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro 512GB w/ Touch Bar (prev. gen.) ,690 shipped
- Koogeek’s HomeKit Single Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch : Dual for
- Home Depot Smart Lock Sale: Hawthorne Single Cylinder Handleset , more
- Philips Hue White A19 3-pack Light Bulbs shipped ( value)
- TP-LINK HS100 Wi-Fi-enabled Smart Plugs 2-pack: (Reg. )
- Today’s Best iOS & Mac App Deals: Knights of Pen & Paper 2, File Manager Pro, more
- Today’s Best Game Deals: Mass Effect Andromeda , Uncharted 4 , more
- Daily Deals: Insignia 39W Bluetooth Soundbar , more
- Swimsuits up to 60% off at Amazon, today only: Nautica, Calvin Klein, adidas, more
- Amazon Gold Box takes up to 40% off best-selling knives and DEWALT accessories
- Free 8×10-inch Photo Print at CVS Photo for Father’s Day
- Nike 48-hour Flash Sale: save on Dri-FIT, Roshe running shoes, Polos and more!
- Free Amazon credit for loading to your Amazon Cash balance
- Steam Gift Card Sale: extra 10% off with purchases of 0 or more
- LEGO Technic Telehandler Building Kit shipped + more
- Best Buy has Apple’s 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 32GB for 0 off, today only
- iTunes and Amazon launch Disney/Pixar Movie sale: discounts on Cars, Toy Story, and more!
- PDF Expert 2.2 for Mac Lets You Edit, Annotate and Sign Documents with Ease: (Orig. )
- Apple Watch Series 1/2 now off – priced from 0 shipped
- iPad mini 4 gets a 0 discount at Best Buy
- AURA Camera Photo Editor for iOS now available for free (Reg. )
- Submerged Miku and the Sunken City gets first drop on iOS: (Reg. )
- Affinity Photo and Designer apps drop to ea. on the Mac App Store (20% off)
- Toca Lab Elements free on iOS fori bet very first time (Reg. )
- Puzzlejuice punches “your brain in the face” for just right now (50% off)
- App Store Free App of the Week: FRAMED for iOS and Apple TV free for first time
- RGB Express Mini Truck puzzler drops to just on the App Store (Reg. +)
NEW PRODUCTS & MORE:
Honda EV-Cub scooter sports eco-friendly functionality in a vintage design
MORE DEALS STILL LIVE:
A day after their Twitter tease of what is presumably the One M10, HTC executives sat down with CNET for a wide-ranging talk. In the interview, CEO Cher Wang and CFO Chialin Chang said that the company’s next phone will have a better camera while noting the importance of the new Vive VR.
When the latest LG flagship launched, the Korean company also introduced a series of “Friends”, including a 360 camera, a VR headset, a Hi-Fi audio module, a camera grip, and more. Now, LG has announced the latest addition to the lineup: Action Cam LTE…
While magazine covers are typically shot by high-powered cameras, the latest issue of Sports Illustrated was — for the very first time — actually captured with a smartphone. Specifically, Moto tells us that this cover was captured with the Moto Z’s Hasselblad True Zoom Moto Mod…